The beauty of love... it is more amazing than we can know. It comes in so many different forms. Different faces, actions, words, feelings.
A listening ear of a friend - that's love. A text from a buddy or an encouraging word - that's love. A pat on the back or compassionate hug - that's love. A simple act of serving - that's love. A gift, a glance, a smile, a squeeze, a poke, a pat, a tear, a laugh................. that's love.
We use this word so freely today, to describe things we like. "I love chocolate!" but do we really understand what the word really means? Do we always understand that love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It is not rude, it is no self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always preservers. Love never fails... (1Corinthians 13:4-8a)
I am nowhere near being patient, I'm not always as kind as I know I should be. I envy stuff people have that I don't all the time, I may not boast very loud but I slide remarks into my conversation about how well I did at something, and I am constantly battling pride. I find myself being rude, and I'm nearly always self-seeking. Let's not even talk about how easily I get mad, and how long of a record I have of how others have wronged me. As a sinner, I find that I do delight in evil sometimes, even though I don't like to admit it. I try to protect, it is hard to trust, hope grows tiresome, and I give up. But still, love never fails, even when I mess up. Yes I try to love. To love like Christ. But I am not perfect, and my love is not enough. Christ must fill me with His love so that I can love like He loves us. He died for us!
Who would I die for? Who would I throw away my life for? Give up all that makes me who I am, leave behind my family, friends. Who? A sinner? The girl that just gets under my skin and agitates me? The guy who keeps hating on life? Who would I die for? Who would YOU die for? Who do you love enough that you would give up your life for? God?
-written 2/13/2011-
-written 2/13/2011-
No comments:
Post a Comment